This is a question for EMPATHS and HIGHLY SENSITIVE PEOPLE – have you ever spent time with someone who on the surface seem as nice as pie but when with them you feel awful and struggle to form a sentence?
Well, let me tell you something – this is a caused by your Empathic antenna sensing that all is not what it seems. Yes, and you should also know that you are detecting that what this person is showing is a fake persona created to hide something from others. So, when an Empath comes across fake people it is common for them to shut down as a form of protection. This can be seen as stumbling over words or one’s memory and thought process being affected. Anyone who is not emanating truthful vibes will put an Empath on high alert.
My fellow Empaths and Highly sensitive friends – you should also know that there are many levels of fakeness and many reasons for it. In the early days of discovering of one’s Empathic abilities it may not always be easy to pinpoint just why someone feels so bad to you.
Here are some traits and behaviors that may leave you feeling awful:
· Someone who wants to be loved by everyone they meet acts overly nice to get adoration.
· Someone being filled with hate or anger yet working hard to convince the world otherwise.
· Someone having had an emotionally destructive childhood leaving them insecure and in pain, yet playing the tough guy.
· Someone building a totally new personality to hide the person they believe will not be accepted by society.
· Someone being full of insincere praise for you.
· Someone making up stories to make themselves sound interesting
And this is how you may find yourself reacting:
· Avoiding being in their presence, yet not really having a reason to do so (as in they did not say or do anything to hurt you).
· Not being able to talk to them. Sentences literally won’t form in your mouth and your brain acts like you have no memory. You find yourself just asking questions and if you do talk it feels like it makes no sense.
· Having a sense of dread in the pit of stomach that won’t go until you are no longer in said person’s presence.
· Any more than an hour spent in their company will drain you and leave you feeling ill.
· Feeling guilty because you may like person but dislike how it feels to be with them.
· Feeling helpless around them.
And, one more thing – not just because an Empath feels fakeness and untruths in another does not mean they do not fake themselves. Some Empaths also think that when they feel bad around a faker it may mean they are picking up a trait they do not like about themselves and they too hide it from the world. We all have to put a face on and act fake at some point in our lives, but for some it’s everyday. We may have to be upbeat and happy when we feel sad or depressed, we may have to act annoyed when we are actually indifferent or we may have to pretend to love a job we actually detest. In some cases faking it can get us through difficult situations, but living it daily is not healthy.